Is your partner lying to you about their true income? Do you believe they have hidden assets?
As Private Investigators in Melbourne we regularly deal with cases involving difficult relationship issues. A common tactic used by the other party when we speak with potential clients during our initial consultations is the act of hiding assets and/or their true income.
A separation and/or divorce doesn’t tend to happen out of the blue. In most instances, at least one party is making the necessary arrangements many weeks, months and/or years prior to leaving.
The more intertwined a couples financial situation is – through shared bank accounts, assets, trusts etc – the more likely it is a partner who is planning to leave will try to sort out their finances prior to the separation.
For those individuals who claim to be blindsided by their partner’s decision to separate, more often than not, it’s only when they look at their finances and bank statements do they realise there were some key red flags their partner was planning to leave.
Further to this, once a separation occurs and divorce proceedings begin, individuals tend to have their own best interests in mind and may take necessary steps to protect their assets and income at any cost.
Do you recognise the warning signs that your partner may be hiding assets or their true income from you?
- Excessive control over finances
- Details of transactions concealed
- Making large purchases without the knowledge of their spouse
- Asking their spouse to sign unusual legal documents
- Incomplete or conflicting discloures
- Deleted computer files or destroyed documents
- Intentional confusion of financial records
- High volume of cash transactions
- Failure to desposit full pay cheque
- Purposeful blending of personal and business finances
- Undisclosed accounts
- Disappearing assets
While on their own these red flags may not prove conclusively that there are hidden assets or income, the more red flags there are the likelier is it that an investigation is warranted.
If you have concerns about your own situation, why not schedule a consultation with one of our investigators via our appointment booking scheduler.