For anyone who is a fan of Instagram, they will be familiar with the Instagram story feature by now. Similar to Snapchat, these stories (either in image or video format) can be viewed for 24 hours before disappearing from the users profile.
Most users will also be aware by now that they are able to view who has seen their own Instagram story simply by clicking on the bottom left corner of their Story. With recent updates to Instagram this feature has become more visible to the User showing small profile photos of the viewers.
So now that we know our profile will be seen if we watch these stories, is there any way to view this secretly / whilst being invisible?
There are many reasons (both good and bad) why someone would want to remain anonymous, but for an investigator being able to do this is important.
Yes, you can create a ‘fake’ Instagram account, but this account will still be visible. We are talking about complete anonymity.
Here is what you to do to view Instagram stories without being seen:
- While Instagram doesn’t have a feature to be anonymous when viewing Instagram stories, you can retain your anonymity through 3rd party apps.
2. If you have an iphone download the app “StoriesRepost” (or similar) or if you have an android use the app “Storysaver” (or similar)
3. Depending which app you use, it will look a little different but the methodology is the same.
4. Login to your Instagram (or dummy account) and search for the target Instagram account.
5. Open their story and choose the option to save the story to your camera roll. (Do not choose the option to repost as this will appear on your Instagram account).
6. Once it is saved to your camera roll, you now have a permanent copy of the story which can be viewed at any time. The original poster will also have no record of the Story being viewed.