Reprinted from myPolice QPS News
Police are investigating a telephone scam targeting small and independent businesses in the North Coast Region of Queensland.
Two official complaints have been made regarding a caller alleging to be from the Queensland Police Service requesting donations to fund child protection initiatives.
One caller has claimed to be from the Media and Public Affairs Branch, the second from the Child Protection Investigation Unit and in both instances they have requested credit card details.
The Queensland Police Service does not solicit donations from members of the public via telephone. Anybody who receives such a call is urged to report the incident to police.
Members of the public are reminded to be cautious about providing their credit card details over the phone.
Anyone with information which could assist police with their investigations should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day or contact Maroochydore Police on 54752444.
Crime Stoppers is a charitable community volunteer organisation working in partnership with the Queensland Police Service.
- IDENTITY THEFT: How to detect a card skimmer on an ATM
- MISSING PERSON: Can you help identify this man?
- RECOVERY SCAM ALERT: Important message from Australian Institute of Criminology
- SPECIAL ALERT: Hoax message – Hitman scam: ‘Deposit $5000 or you will be killed’
- PHONE SCAM: 0466710815 requesting personal details