Have you ever been on the receiving end of a hurtful comment online?
If you’re a blogger, public figure or strongly support an organisation or belief – then chances are that you’ve been the subject of vexatious online comments.
Someone once commented on a Youtube video that I was an “ugly white girl who should f*#% off and die” (and yes, you’re absolutely right in thinking I tracked this person down and confronted them!).
Online abuse is so widespread that a simple search of the term “go f#&king kill yourself” on social networking site Twitter alone reveals over 6,050 matches!
Cyber-bullying can have serious impacts on individuals and the destruction it can have towards a person’s mental and physical health is clearly evident. At any given time we are ALL dealing with issues in our life – whether it be relationships, financial, health or otherwise – but online abuse can easily be the catalyst to let our demons get the better of us.
Lets all remind ourselves of the popular saying from “Bambi” shall we?
“If you can’t say anything nice…don’t say anything at all.”
- Cyberbullies claim another life – Charlotte Dawson found dead at 47.
- ROMANCE SCAMS: Heartbreaking, financially devastating, deadly.
- TalkLife: The controversial app EVERY parent must know about
- Online Investigations Pty Ltd warns of predators using online dating
- Child Safety Company uKnow.com Releases “Online Predators” Infographic