Download our new app!
THE BELOW IS AN EXTRACT OF QUESTIONS ONLY! To view the FULL list of questions and to confirm whether your Date is a scammer – download our NEW app available on iTunes!
Are you concerned the person you (or a friend/family member) are speaking to online may be a romance scammer? Private Investigator Julia Robson has put together some fantastic initial steps to identify for free whether you may be speaking to a scammer. The more questions you can answer YES to, the higher the likelihood you are speaking with a scammer.
If things don’t sit right with you – then obtain a CupidScreen scam analysis report and have it confirmed either way by a licensed private investigator. We are professionals and have the experience, resources and compassion to find out the truth.
To find out the likelihood whether you are being scammed*, ask yourself the following questions:
- Did your Date make the first initial contact?
- Was their initial contact suggesting you leave the dating site and immediately continue speaking either by email, mobile phone or instant messenger?
- Have they provided a “Yahoo” email address? (most preferred email account due to access to Instant Messenger)
- Are they based internationally – or – do they claim to be from the same country as you, but currently based internationally (either on holiday or on work)?
- If based in the United Kingdom: Does their phone number begin with +44 70 ? (A call forwarding number which gives the appearance they are UK based, however can be accessed worldwide)
Appearance and History:
- Time to face facts – Is your Date much better looking than people you would usually date in real life?
- Do the photographs they provide look professionally taken?
- Is their online profile written in capitals?
- Do they have a reference to God and strong moral values on their profile?
- Do they state “am…” instead of “I am” eg “am Richard” or “am looking for love”.
- Should their spelling/grammar be of a higher standard?
- Do they claim to be widowed or have lost a close family member to a car accident or cancer?
- Are they a single parent?
- Do they claim to be employed in any of the following professions or working in the following locations:
Construction, Gem Buyer, Oil Rigs, Military, Undercover Agent, WHO Volunteer
Romance and contact:
- Have they asked you to take down your dating profile immediately?
- Do they refer to you as “my dear” or “my love”?
- Have they quickly professed their love for you within a very short space of time?
- Do they contact you either by email, text, phone, instant messenger more than 5 times a day, every day?
- Do you spend hours in one sitting communicating with them – particularly by instant messenger or text?
- For those who use webcam – Do they complain of webcam issues causing it to pause or not work? If you ask them to grab an item from behind them are they able to do it on command?
- Do they email you poetry?
If yes – go into one of these emails and select a portion of the poem which is the most romantic. Highlight the sentence and copy it (ctrl button + c) then go over to a search engine and in the search box paste (ctrl button + v) the sentence using quotation marks around it eg ” your eyes are like pots of gold at the end of the rainbow”. Are any other identical poems returned?
Requests for money:
- Have you met them on a friendly basis online without meeting them in person yet and they have asked you for money?
- Is their preference for money being sent to them via Western Union or Moneygram?
- Have they asked for money to be sent to them, but the account holder or receiver is in someone elses name?
- Do they get angry if you advise you are unable to send them money?
- Have they missed a planned arrangement to meet?
- Do they continue to have excuses why are they are unable to meet or break their promises why they can’t meet?
- Do they get angry if you question their intentions?
The more questions you answer “YES” to, the higher the likelihood you are dealing with a scammer.
This test covers the most common techniques used by scammers – however in actual fact, there are many more. If you have concerns you may be dealing with a scammer, we recommend requesting a CupidScreen scam analysis. Your situation is personally investigated by a licensed experienced private investigators and identifies the red flags and likelihood you are are dealing with a romance scammer. If in doubt – CUPIDSCREEN it out! A scam analysis report can be ordered via the CupidScreen background checks page.
* Note: This test applies to romance scams which originate from Nigeria and are otherwise referred to as 419 scams. The term “419″ refers to the section for Fraud under Nigerian legislation.
CupidScreen.com is a niche service operated by Online Investigations Pty Ltd and created by private investigator Julia Robson. Her success in assisting victims in romance scams included travelling to Malaysia to assist in the arrest of an organised group of Nigerian born romance scammers who had scammed over 81 Australian women. The arrest was filmed by the 60 Minutes crew and can be viewed here – “The Love Trap”
Online Investigations Pty Ltd are a private investigation company based in Melbourne, Australia. Experienced private investigators and detectives in Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia and Worldwide. Servicing Canberra, Sydney, Darwin, Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and International.