How to find someone in Australia

Posted on June 19, 2012 by Online Investigations Team 43 Comments

There are many legitimate reasons why someone would want to find an individual in Australia.  A missing person,  old friend, high school sweetheart, family member or even someone who owes you money – typically we as investigators hear these reasons the most.  So what can you do if you need to locate someone? We at Online Investigations Pty Ltd have put together a simple and straightforward list which can assist you should you need to locate someone in Australia.

1.  Make a list

Like most things in life – preparation increases your best chance of success.  What information do you already know about the person?   When attempting to locate someone take the time to sit down and compile a list of everything you know about that person.  For example:

• Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Last known addresses/telephone numbers/email/social networking accounts
  • Occupation
  • Hobbies/Interests
  • Spouse name/Children’s names/Other family members

This information will provide you the beginning parameters of your search.  For each piece of information you have, this not only offers you additional avenues to follow up – but it also verifies that the information you have obtained is for the correct individual!  There is no point trying to locate a “John Smith” in “Australia” – this will only result in millions of matching results.  Ideally you will also know his middle name, date of birth and at least a State to search in!

Furthermore, creating a list can also uncover a wealth of additional information which you may previously have thought had no bearing on locating the individual.  Having knowledge that the individual you are trying to locate is a keen rower for example, may help you locate him at a local rowing club or event.  Do not discount any information you know about the individual.  As investigators we have located thousands of individuals on the most obscure piece of information which our client originally thought wasn’t initially worth passing on.  If you choose to engage a professional service to locate someone, a great investigator will take the time to ask you questions about the individual and identify information which you may not have previously thought important.

Now that you have your list this can also be useful to an investigator if you choose to engage one further down the track.  As most investigators charge on an hourly basis, any information you can provide about the searches you have already done will ensure your investigator is well briefed prior to beginning of their inquiries and also prevent them from doubling up on searches.

2. Identify mutual friends

Do you know anyone who may know where this person is?  The best advantage you have over a professional service and/or databases are mutual friends who are willing to help you.

In the majority of cases, people are more than happy to pass on information about someone if they know who they are giving it to.  This gives you a distinct advantage over an investigation company who may have to spend time gaining an individuals trust before they will release information to them, or in some cases even use pretexting to obtain the desired result.

3. Use PItoolbox.com.au

By now the list you have made should be complete with as much information as you and your associates can possibly recall about the individual.  Based on this information you can now utilise free online resources to further unravel the mystery of where the individual may be.  We highly recommend using PItoobox.com.au as this not only provides links to the most relevant resources in Australia, but all resources provided are completely free!  These are the same resources that investigators and inquiry agents will begin their searches at, so you know by using these you are on the right track.

PItoolbox offers resources categorised into States, occupations and social media.  Take the time to work your way through the most relevant links and record your results on your list so have this for future reference.

4. Engage a professional and licensed private investigator

Despite your extensive efforts, if you are still unable to locate the individual then it is time to consider engaging a professional skip tracing and location agency.  Choosing a suitable private investigation company may be difficult and how to decide on the best one for you is covered in our previous blog titled how to choose an investigator in Australia.

It is important to remember that despite the fact you may have conducted extensive efforts with no success, private investigators have an extensive knowledge base in locating individuals.  Although they are not the Police and don’t have access to the same databases as them, the advantage for using a private investigator is that they have subscriptions to a number of databases which members of the public don’t.  The majority of these databases charge an annual fee which is simply too expensive and uneconomical for members of the public to pay for a one-off search.    Use of these databases, together with their expertise in interviewing, making discreet inquiries and speaking with their network of contacts will ensure the highest rate of success of finding your missing person.

Online Investigations Pty Ltd are private investigators in Melbourne who have extensive experiencing in locating individuals, witnesses, debtors and Defendants.  Their expertise has helped locate individuals which other investigation companies have previously failed at.  All location inquiries are conducted using a range of offline and online investigation methods – simply put, we get results.

To enquire about our range of location methods and obtain a free consultation please contact us or alternatively call us anytime on 1300 884 596.

Online Investigations Pty Ltd are a private investigation company based in Melbourne, Australia.  Experienced private investigators and detectives in Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia and Worldwide. Servicing Canberra, Sydney, Darwin, Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and International.

43 comments

• karen atkinson says:

hi i am looking for my husbands long lost children named julie natalie and stuart

• karen atkinson says:

last known to be living in brisbane area

• David Yardley says:

I am trying to find a lady I knew back in 1978 her name was Kay Coombes and she lived in Penrith. This is just an innocent request as I would like to get in touch with her after so many years Cheers

• hi!
    I’m looking for Ms. Zarah Villanueva Mainit now known as Zarah Chown. Would like her to know that her Tatay Elmo died last July 26 this year. Hope she can come visit the Philippines to settle his Tatay’s properties and estates.

• Roy Ford says:

I’m trying to find my dad whom I havnt seen for about 14 years. His name is Lance Ford & he would be approx 70 now. He is married to Freda. He is a Kiwi & she is English. The last time I saw them they were living in a caravan & travelling around Queensland.

• Wei David Zhao says:

I am looking for my first love Li Xiaomei, who is rumored living in Wolonggang, NSW or Orange, NSW area. According to my old classmate, she is currently working in a nursing home. She was originally from Yangzhou, China. If any body has any info about her, please let me know.

• renee tang says:

my name is renee have twin sister melody.
    i born in 08/10/1980 queen elizabeth hospital woodville.
    Im looking for mum. her name is Elizabeth Ann Chaplin.
    guessing around 52 years old. at that time she lives in 9 stacey st dudley park 5085. this is all we got info about her..

• cheryl says:

hello there renee check white pages in your area for the name Chaplin perhaps you may find her that way cheers

• l dang says:

I’m looking for a male name Nguyen Gia hoi , came to Pert ,Aus in 1984,he born in1961 he had an aunt who married with an australian congressman, That all I know about him, finding someone in another country is the hardest, I search in white page but no luck, Please tellme which way should I look, Thank you

• Chris smith says:

Hi I am looking for my son Jacob carle smith born 15/08/1995 .. Living somewhere on the south coast N.S.W.. His mothers name is Ann Burtenshaw

• craig bradley chapman says:

lives in sydney dob 26-1-1969 urgent friend is dieing can anybody help me

• Alison Jade says:

We found him! Thank you so so much for your information. I found my cousin in Brisbane!!! Merry christmas to you online investigations. God bless you

• joanne wilson says:

looking for john drew who lived in Alice Springs, Northern Territory. Family

• max sparrow says:

looking for pat/patrica scott who lived at tyrone guest house,buxton, victoria in the early 40s till the early 60s. has marriage since.would like to meet her.

• Daniel says:

I am looking for a long lost mate of mine. His name is Jeff Searle, He is around 35 years old. I lost contact with him around 10 years ago. He had just recently moved to “Howard”, Qld at the time, after living near Tweed Heads, Nsw for a few years. Prior to that he lived on the Central Coast, NSW when he was younger.

He was one of the best mates I ever had. I really need to find him.

• Daniel says:

Also, his fathers name is Gary Searle and he is an electrician and his mothers name is Gail Searle. He also has a sister but I can’t remember her name.

• mary grace anetin says:

I am looking for lachlan barrie lived in Nsw australia,your son is still looking for you in the philippines.please contact us 6309359909999.

• mary grace anetin says:

I am looking lachlan barrie was born on june 21,1957.live in 2/21 mosmen st.sydney australia.your family in the philippines need you..

• Doug says:

Trying to find an old work friend, Leonie bennet, from Sydney, Doug.

• ken foster says:

would like to find the vines family, they came toAustralia ,then arrived in New Zealand in 1965 lived in TOKOROA New Zealand, for about a year then went back to Australia or maybe England , however i have been looking for these people for over thirty years now ,and someone out there must know of their whereabouts, their names are, john vines, jill vines, paul vines, and debbie vines, debbie was born in Australia, if anyone can help find this family i would be most gratefull, of course the family are now into their 60,s now. please contact me on facebook nz or my email address. kenneF@xtra.co.nz thanks ken

• J says:

looking for liam castle in australia

• Alen says:

suche meinen Opa der Miro Deljo heisst, letzte bekannte Adresse war 65 Market Street, Essendon, Victoria, Australien

• saeed says:

i am looking for tony grier or tony grier or marsel grier born in syria and moved in 80s to australia

• ade says:

im looking for my friends, her name is jennifer clare matthews and kaye paddington, last time i meet them was 1980s,in Sydney, i m looking forward to met them, at that time they live in Bondi Junction Area, does any body know?

• ade says:

im looking for Jennifer Clare Matthews, last time i meet her she is living in Bondi Junction Sydney, her parent live in Narromine, Jenny’s sister name Kerry .

• christopher boyle says:

im looking 4 my dad, i live in new zealand and he has gone to australlia i have never met him his name is tobey hall or tobais hall i have been trying to find him for years and still no luck all i could find out was he lives in aus thanks chris

• Brian says:

I am looking for Leslie Gordon PIKE (approx.70 years of age) lived at Donald Street, Footscray, also at 70 Lincoln Street, North Richmond. nee3d to0 tlk to him re a will.

• Brett Irwin says:

Iam looking for uncle Johnny king played for St George rugby club in 60s and 70s

• Mpendulo Hlatshwayo says:

Iam looking for Jennifer Lukasik who was a teacher in Swaziland her last adress 3/13 Austral St Penshurst Sydney,Austria

• matt hartman says:

Niel Monahan? who played for the goulburn hawks aussie rules side around mid 1980 and met a woman named Sharon? your son is desperatly hoping to meet you one day.. h6rr6rc6re AT yahoo DOT com

• mark says:

Im looking for a very good freind who lived in Nollamara,eastbourne creasant,named Candy thomas,,around 1979,,

• cheryl says:

hello I am trying to find a raymond charles stephens possible living in a place called virginia or near by in queensland
    he was born 15.10.1953

• cheryl says:

raymond drove taxis for black and white cabs in
    virginia queensland possible owner driver
    so if you know his where abouts contact by replying on here please

• Courtney says:

Hi, I am looking for my fiancé brother who has not been seen by any family for about 20 years.. His name is Karl Burgess he left Yankalilla SA and went to queensland. The last any of the family heard, about 6 years ago he was still there. His dads name is Frank, step mum Glenda and has brothers Scott and Bodie and a sister Simone. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, he has a nephew I would love for him to meet. Thanks

• Billie-JAN says:

Hi – would like to reconnect with Bruce John Cawley. Sister’s name, Sandra. Parents Alfred (Jack) and Mary Cawley, both deceased. Formerly lived in Brighton Victoria, believe to have lived around the Bayview/Newport/Mona Vale NSW area, 2004. Extremely difficult for me to search as I am located in Michigan, USA. Any leads or help appreciated.

• Mishelle Horn says:

Im looking for my brother whom Ive never met he,d be 53 now .I found out about him over 10 years ago.(He doesnt even know he,s adopted I think)
    My Family wont tell us anything much just that my mother had him in 1960 and gave him to our Aunty Janet.His name is Ian Bass, and lives in Whalen Nsw ??

• shane summers says:

im looking for Lee Knowles from Sheffield area in Tasmania the prick owes my old man 8 tonne of wood

• Lavenia says:

Hi i am looking for my father his is Laurie nole Elliott. I haven’t see him since I was born.He was a manager for Burns Philip com in Fiji in 1977,1978and 1979maybe my mother said he is from Melbourne, australia
    They met in fiji

• Eva cipi Kaso says:

Please I want to find my causine Brian cipi sun of bektash cipi he have a brother named alen cipi and a sister Laurianne cipi please help me to find them in Sidney perhaps

• Hana says:

I want to find George Moldoveanu, biologist and veterinary doctocr who moved from Rumunia live in Australia in 1988. He has daugther Dana born in 1977 and older son.

• Ping says:

Looking for Barbara Horseman who was living at the Oriental Private Hotel, Milson Road, Cremorne 2090 Australia in 1980.

She was originally from England. Would like to catch up with her.

Thanks